Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:27:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        iyengar <SanatanaDharma@email.msn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio1 problem, ppp problem and 3com 3c905B-TX problem

[Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Sunday,  4 October 1998 at 21:14:22 -0700, iyengar wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers with 3 specific
> problems I am running into.
>
> I have a new Dell Dimension XPS R400. It has an internal modem which
> windows shows as hooked up to COM2. I checked the IRQ=3 and the port
> address=0x100.

IRQ 3 is normally reserved for sio1.  You can't have two sio ports on
the same IRQ.  This is a hardware limitation.

> The IO range is 0x100 - 0x107.
> I changed the sio1 port address using userconfig from the default to 0x100.
>
> FreeBSD (2.2.7) comes up with the following messages :
>
> Sio1: Configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> Sio1: irq maps 0x1 0x1 0x1 0x1
> Sio1: Probe failed test(s): 1 4 6 7 9
> Sio1: not found at 0x100
>
> Can anyone please let me know what the problem is here and how I can resolve
> it?

Yes.  FreeBSD enables interrupts on all boards, and they're
conflicting, so you don't get an interrupt.  Change the IRQ of one of
the interfaces.

> Second: My ethernet card is a 3COM 3C905B-TX hooked up on irq 11 and
> port address 0x1400 with IO range 0x1400 0x147f. I realize FreeBSD
> does not support this particular card - but I took one close to it
> the "ep0" device from 3com and changed the port address with
> userconfig along with the irq.
>
> FreeBSD cannot find the device "ep0" at the address location
> given. I have doublechecked the hex # to be correct. Can someone
> please tell me how to take care of this one? Is there any patch I
> can download that will support my 3com card?

Considering it's not supported, you shouldn't be very surprised by
this result.  ISTR that somebody's working on it, though...  Here we
go (from the 3.0-BETA /sys/i386/conf/LINT file):

# The `xl' driver provides support for the 3Com 3c900, 3c905 and
# 3c905B (Fast) Etherlink XL cards and integrated controllers. This
# includes the integrated 3c905B-TX chips in certain Dell Optiplex and
# Dell Precision desktop machines and the integrated 3c905-TX chips
# in Dell Latitude laptop docking stations.

3.0 is due for release at the end of next week.

> Third - I am able to dialin to MSN network with PPP and it comes up
> with the message :login OK.  However the connection is dropped
> within 10 seconds. The default timeout in the ppp.conf is 0. Also
> LCP is enabled. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Dialling Microsoft?  Sorry, I don't know.  What do your log files say?

BTW, it's not a good idea to come up with multiple unrelated problems
in one message.  You're liable to scare people away.  Feel free to
send out three separate messages.

Greg