Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:55:10 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: one or two errors in installworld

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 12:09:23AM -0400, Andrew Lankford wrote:
> In message <20020609212825.A81804@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Steve Kargl wr
> ites:
> >
> >If you don't think it's bogus, then fix the
> >documentation of make.conf and commit an UPDATING
> >entry to warn everyone who set INSTALL several years
> >ago.
>
> Check out the next to last few entries in:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/share/sendmail/Makefile?sortby=log
>
> or
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
>
> So, on to a new topic.  Which is better, ^? or ^H ?

What's your point? Greg kludged share/sendmail/Makefile to
work around Ruslan's broken implementation in xinstall.

Either fix xinstall so options that conflict with -d
are ignored (I've already posted a patch, twice), or
fix the documentation of make.conf (I've already posted
a patch for this, too) and fix the example make.conf
under share/example/etc and add an entry to UPDATING.

There is also an open problem report bin/37795, which
Ruslan knew existed, and he has not closed it (his kludge
invalidates the PR).

At one time, setting INSTALL to "install -C" in make.conf
could be a BIG time saver during a "make world"?  One
can no longer set INSTALL.

--
Steve