Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 23:58:40 -0500
From:      Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@cogeco.ca>
To:        "Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clock problem

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 12:18:12 -7
"Jim McIver" <jmciver@lmtribune.com> wrote:

> I'm recently installed Freebsd 4.4 and clock is gaining over an hour in
> a 24 hour period.

 I had a machine that couldn't keep time properly a while back, I had to
adjust the Timecounter "i8254"  frequency and/or Timecounter "TSC"
frequency. Don't remember how I calibrated it but I have:

options         CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION
options         CLK_USE_TSC_CALIBRATION

in my kernel configuration file, and it keeps good enough time for (x)ntpd
to adjust. [Too large a variation and ntpd fails to sync]

--
 I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it
"Thursday." Go figure.