Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:12:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        "Ivan B. Serezhkin " <ivan@serezhkin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Subject:   Re: notebook display brightness

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Ivan B. Serezhkin  wrote:
 > Good day.
 >
 > Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
 > >>  I found a
 > >> strange problem that I do not want to solve: Fn button-<Lover
 > >> bright> and Fn - <Raise bright> only works on the console and
 > >> not working under xorg.
 > >>

 > > All I can tell you is that several people have this problem
 > > (including me), and that it was a regression in one of the last
 > > Xorg releases, i.e. it used to work.
 > >
 > Thank for this, i used notebooks earlier and never found this problem, i
 > mistakly thinks that t problem of this model.
 > >
 > >> Also, I am interested in obtaining closing notebook event to
 > >> execute some scripts.
 > >>

 > > Have a look at devd.conf(5)
 > >
 > Thanks again, devd knows acpi - amazing ! =)
 > But can you poin me to some documentation or articles about programming?

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2006-August/008959.html
and the other post referenced there has clues for devd event handling.

Those are for a Thinkpad using acpi_ibm so I'm not sure how relevant it
may be for your notebook, and Nate says it's an Xorg problem anyway, but
perhaps it might help with your lid-close issue.

<hint> I'll keep hassling Norberto to subscribe to freebsd-acpi, as he's
had a -thermal/powerd problem that I feel may be resolvable here </hint>

Cheers, Ian