Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 09:29:05 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
Cc:        soward@service1.uky.edu, smp@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

Hi,

> 	Mine came with an external connector (got it a couple of
> months ago from Atipa).  The thing that REALLY irked me was that it
> requires an ATX form factor case, but a standard power supply
> connector.  So its some wort of AT/ATX hybrid (or low-bred B-).

indeed a bad design point.  I guess they were thinking that there were
limited sources of ATX supplies at the time...  never mind that the case
is still different.

> If you order from Atipa (or anywhere else), make sure they send you
> the right case, the first time.

I have to admit I was less than happy with the case.  My big gripe is that
the case has 6 backplane slot cutouts, but the board supports 7 cards
(4 ISA, 4 PCI, one slot shared).  So one PCI slot doesn't have a cutout!

In general I really like the ATX formfactor.  In this case all the MB
mounts (except one) are steel posts instead of those flimsy nylon
standoffs.  Don't know if this is part of the ATX standard, but it
fits great, no flexing of the MB when inserting cards!  And ALL the card
slots are full length, the CPUs and stuff being to the side of the slots.

If anyone knows of a good source of ATX cases please speak up.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD