Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 08:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg2@adsl-63-201-55-220.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ex0: not multicast capable, IPv6 not enabled

Crist,
First, thanks for your help on this and to the many others in the group.
Your advice has been and continues to be very valuable and appreciated.

This is very strange, ever curiouser as has been said by a better author
than I.

Tried to run tcpdump and it is not there.  Updated the locate database and
ran locate.  Not there. Only reference is to smbtcpdump in ports [I have
the full ports tree]

This box ran 2.2.6 for a long time.  Figured it would be easier to just
install 4.0 than to update.

Just did a complete reinstall of 4.0 [Fast as I have the CD Rom and for
this test just used all the defaults and did not put in X windows].  Same
result.  No net connection, no tcpdump.

Went to look around and found no pine and no emacs, I do not like vi.
Installed the emacs pkg [pkg_add] from the cdrom.  Installs fine but will
not run.  Get an error message libXaw.so.6 not found.  Tried emacs -nw
which has worked for me in the past when I do not have X windows on a
machine.  Error message on pine is libssl.so.1 not found.

Hmmmm....
-seem to have a 'broken install' but no idea what to do next
-naturally the net connection is still not there.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff