Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:15:41 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        <avg@FreeBSD.org>, <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        spawk@acm.poly.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd@jdc.parodius.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel memory leak in 8.2-PRERELEASE?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete French" <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>

> This is why I got rid of it - my application is a lot of CGI scripts. The
> overload condition is that we run out of memory - and we run *way* out
> of memory .... its never just a little overflow, it;s either handleable or
> completely crushed. But swap makes that mre llikely to happen, because
> as the processes are swapped out they run slower, take longer to
> finish and thus use memory for longer.
>
> What I saw was that as soon as any web server would start tos wap it would
> swftly fall down. Without swap they stay up, but reject requests. Its a better
> failure mode...
>
> these days I run a compormise - swap on internal machines, and no swap
> on customer facing ones, but lots of RAM (16 gig).

If that's php under apache either cap maxclients so this doesn't happen or even
better ditch apache and switch to something like nginx + php-fpm, much quicker
much more stable solution which doesn't suddenly eat all your ram and blow-up
the machine.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.