Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:09:39 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otter@telocity.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PAX does not accept keyboard inputs!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of O. Hartmann
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2000 9:12 AM
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: PAX does not accept keyboard inputs!!!

Hello.
I wrote some little scripts for backups using pax. When performing a
backup and pax asks me for changing the media, I cannot confirm this
change!
Keyboard is stuck and still does not allow any inputs except Ctrl-C.
What's
up? Please help!

In kernel, I configured vt220 support (VT-Terminal), my standard
Terminal
is a vt220 emulation
Is there a reason you added extra support for hardware you decided to
emulate? I can understand if your pax application requires it. If not,
why not just use vt100? It seems to be more widely accepted and
probably isn't that much different. I can see some local applications
requiring it (interfacing to electronics, etc) but for remote access,
vt100 is a no-brainer. Don't take this email as an insult. I'm just
offering up advice in case you weren't aware of other vt models.
There's plenty of general info in the RFC about virtual terminals and
how they work if you need detail on it:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc782.html
Regards,
Otter
(~/.sig files available for an additional fee)

 and it is really funny: the often I make a cvsupdate
an recompile the system, the more I get different behaviours of my
Xterminals.
Hey, what's that? It is confusing and it is not especially a kind of
user friendly
for reconfiguring keyboard an other stuff ...

Gruss O. Hartmann