Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:24:27 -0700
From:      "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>
To:        "Tim" <tim@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        "Aaron" <click46@webpimps.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 3ware Escalade 6200 RAID Controller

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:37:58PM -0700, Kory Hamzeh wrote:
> > After talking to their tech support this morning, I think I'm
> not going to
> > use this controller mostly because it looks like a SCSI
> controller to the
> > system, even though the drives are IDE. This means that the system won't
> > boot since the filesystem names will be different. If I hadn't installed
> > FBSD yet, I would definitely use 3ware. This is a production
> server and I
> > can't afford to have it down for more than a couple of hours to
> get things
> > running.
>
>   Huh?  Why won't it boot?

The root filesystem will change from /dev/ad0s1a (IDE Drive) to something
like /dev/sd0a (not a SCSI drive), so the system won't boot. The other
filesystem are not a big deal -- once you boot and mount the root
filesystem, you can edit /etc/fstab.

If I'm wrong or their is a way around this, please let me know.

> > I may go ahead with the ARCO. It is a total transparent RAID
> controller that
> > sits in between your IDE controller and the drive. The only
> down side to it
> > is that it does not provide any performance improvements like
> the other two
> > controllers do.
>
>   The last time I looked, ARCO requires a floppy/DOS program to rebuild
> failed drives.  That will significantly add to your down time.

True, but hopefully that won't happen very often. Does the 3ware let you
rebuild drives on the fly? How do you do that understand FBSD. Their tech
support could not explain that to me. Are you suppose to use the web
interface of the 3dmd?

Thanks,
Kory