Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:38:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        Savage_Bradl@sirus.commnet.edu
Cc:        Help <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install from Floppies?

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hello. I've tried to download the installation files for floppies and I
>can't seem to get a straight-forward text on which files I need to
>download. Your layout text seems to insist that I get the CD. I don't think
>my CD-RW (Memorex CRW-1622) will work, anyway. Plus I don't wanna pay for
>the CD because I might not want to use it and that'd just be  a waste of
>money. So far, I've gotten the idea that I should download the whole 'bin'
>directory so I did that. Is there a good text on the directory structure of
>the online disk (i'm downloading from ftp.cdrom.com). I would like to get
>X-Windows, but I don't even know where to start. I'm seeing about migrating
>from Windows NT, and I've never used any type of Unix before. Well, thank
>you for your time.

Information concerning installing FreeBSD (including non-CDROM
installation) is included at

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

This includes from-floppy installation, which I do not recommend if
you have other options.

One of the (potentially) easiest methods is to use a network
connection to the Internet, either Ethernet or modem and ppp/slip.  I
have done both and found them quite painless (although the modem
method can be time-consuming, but not much more so than downloading
the floppies in the first place).

If you have specific questions about this section, please feel free to
ask.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/