Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:21:19 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dump/restore and the silly filenames people use

First off, thanks and kudos to the all the developers of FreeBSD, Samba
and Netatalk. I just set up a fileserver system for a client that works
flawlessly with their NT, Mac & SGI clients. Very well done.

Now the question (having be preluded by the type os system involved)

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the types of filenames that
Mac/Windows users tend to use. Names like "Report to Acme Corp.
1-5-01.doc" While doing some testing I found that I could not get these
files back from a dump using "restore -i". When attempting to add them,
restore assumed that each word was a seperate file to be restored.
Putting quotes around the name doesn't seem to work either.

My question then is:
Is there a way to work around this or am I SOL. Unfortunately, the
obvious option (don't use filenames with spaces) isn't an option because
of a) my relationship with this client and b) the education level of the
users. IOW: people are going to use these types of filenames ... it's
just life. I think it's stupid, but it's being done that way regardless.
I know I could use "restore -hi" to grab entire directories, but this
could get cumbersome because of (b) above (basically - IT is saying "put
all your stuff in these project directories" and the employees will
probably put hundreds of files there without making any further
directory structure)

Perhaps this is an update that could be made to restore?

TIA for any info,
Bill