Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:38:32 -0500
From:      Tim <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        Aaron <click46@webpimps.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3ware Escalade 6200 RAID Controller

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 02:24:27PM -0700, Kory Hamzeh wrote:
> The root filesystem will change from /dev/ad0s1a (IDE Drive) to something
> like /dev/sd0a (not a SCSI drive), so the system won't boot. The other
> filesystem are not a big deal -- once you boot and mount the root
> filesystem, you can edit /etc/fstab.

  OK, I see what you are saying now.  You are taking an existing
installation and putting it into RAID.  Hmmm, I've never tried that.
We've always built a new RAID server and move the data over.  Much safer
that way.  In our system, the drives actually show up as /dev/twed0s1.
I guess you could create the RAID volume on the existing system (and I
don't even know if you could do this without wiping out the old data),
boot from a FreeBSD floppy with a kernel that has 3ware driver on it,
then edit /etc/fstab.  I am not sure that's much worse than the
alternative, if at all.

> True, but hopefully that won't happen very often. Does the 3ware let you
> rebuild drives on the fly?

  Yes.

  See http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID

> Their tech
> support could not explain that to me. Are you suppose to use the web
> interface of the 3dmd?

  Yup.

  Tim