Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:13:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        webmaster@oreillynet.com
Subject:   snmp with mrtg for monitoring

I am just learning how to use SNMP to monitor various aspects of my
servers and then creating useful graphs with mrtg.  I am reading material
here to learn how to do it.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/09/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I have my xl0 and xl1 interfaces monitor ok, I think, but the load and
swap tracking does not seem to work.

Could anyone explain how this is best set up?

Right now I have a few targets set up in my mrtg.cnf file.  I started that
file with cfgmaker and then added other MIBs to monitor.  (this may be the
wrong way to describe it.)

So in the file I include xl0 and xl1.  There are my two NIC cards.  I have
this server running here at my apartment as a gateway for my DSL so I can
have it act as a firewall/router.

It seems to be tracking and creating a decent graph for the ethernet
traffic, but I have also set up Targets for load and swap.  There look
like...

# cpu load
Target[load]:.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.1&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.2:HOME@localhost

# swap
Target[swap]:.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.3.0&.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.4.4.0:HOME@localhost

These both have a value for MaxBytes of 12500000.  I probably should
change this, but the article from oreillynet.com does not give a specific
recommondation for this.   The article seems to cut our a bit early
leaving me to do a great deal of guesswork.

What I think I may be missing is a config option in the snmpd.conf file,
but I am unsure how I would set that.  I was able to set up these Targets
because I the numbers from the MIBs which snmpwalk gave me.  I figured
they would give me all of this information already without setting is
explicitly in the config file.

I am a bit confused and I cannot seem to find much more help with setting
up snmp and mrtg.

Any help is appreciated,

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com