Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:11:35 -0500
From:      Noah Dunker <ndunker@jccc.net>
To:        'ben' <ben@stonehenge-net.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: gpg self extractor?

I'm a real hash-bang monkey (I like shell scripting)
this is what I came up with, but it doesn't ENCRYPT
anything nor does it ask for a password but it's a
start...

[root@buddha test]# ls
header  kern.flp

[root@buddha test]# cat header
cat $0 | tail +4 > ./extractfile.tgz
tar xvzf ./extractfile.tgz
exit

[root@buddha test]# tar cvzf kern.tgz kern.flp
kern.flp

[root@buddha test]# cat header kern.tgz > extractor

[root@buddha test]# ls
extractor  header  kern.flp  kern.tgz

[root@buddha test]# rm kern.flp
rm: remove `kern.flp'? y

[root@buddha test]# sh extractor
kern.flp

[root@buddha test]# ls
extractfile.tgz  extractor  header  kern.flp  kern.tgz

Basically, it's a shell script with extraction commands.  you append the
compressed stuff to the end of the file, and then your shell script uses
tail to chop off the shell part into a file, and extract that compressed
file as-is.

I know it's dirty.

Maybe you can use this to help come up with your encrypted/passworded stuff?

Noah Dunker
Systems Analyst/Technician
Johnson County Community College