Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 09:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      paz <paz@apriori.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipportfw, ipchains + FreeBSD

Does FreeBSD have any provision to forward packets while passing or
preserving port numbers to hosts behind a masquerading-type firewall?

In other words...
I have local network at home which uses the non-routable addresses
192.168.*.*. I'm using ipfw and natd and routed on my FreeBSD gateway. The
gateway has a single static IP provided by my service provider.

Some apps running on my local net (Windows machine) are choking because
they aren't getting replies on the same ports they're intitiated on, and
so my gateway/firewall machine tosses out the replies to the local client.

Doing some extensive web searches, I keep finding port-based forwarding
add-ons and software for Linux-based machines, such as ipportfw and
ipchains. These appear to support forwarding rules which apply to this
situation. But I haven't seen programs offered in the FreeBSD ports
collection to do anything like this. Somehow I suspect that grabbing the
Linux ipchains, for example, and installing it on my FreeBSD host wouldn't
necessarily run right...

Comments, suggestions invited.

cheers -
-- Philip.