Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 00:08:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        Carolyn Longfoot <c_longfoot@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS/DHCP Irritation

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Carolyn Longfoot wrote:

> Now that I have my own DNS server running I noticed an annoying issue: I get
> my static IP from the DHCP server that's built into the DSL gatway. The DHCP
> server always gives me the same IP but the effect is that whenever the lease
> expires, /etc/resolv.conf gets rewritten and the entry that points to my
> local DNS server is lost.
>
> Of course I could create the desired resolv.conf and copy it via cron every
> X minutes to /etc/resolv.conf but that feels sooooo clunky that I was
> thinking some smart people might have a better idea, like a way to convince
> the dhcp client to leave /etc/resolv.conf alone.
>
> Any takers?

Check the "DYNAMIC DNS" section in the dhclient.conf(5) manpage.  Do you
have any of these options configured?  It seems as if dhclient shouldn't
be updating anything unless you've told it to.  I got kind of confused by
the whole thing though.

Also check the dhclient-script(8) manpage.

I have never had dhclient do this to me, but I don't have a DNS server on
my laptop either. Try setting "no-client-updates true;" in
/etc/dhclient.conf though and see what happens.