Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 11:35:30 -0600
From:      "Allen Hyer" <allenh@wtrt.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   remote printers

I am trying to set up a remote printer and need some help.

  I have a FreeBSD box running 2.1.6-RELEASE.  I also have an HP5si with a
JetDirect card in it.  I have enabled TCP/IP on the printer, assigned it an
ip, etc.  Now, I want to print from the FreeBSD box to this printer.  I
have used the instructions in the handbook.

  I am just trying to print plain text, nothing fancy.  The text gets to
the printer, with one problem.  At the end of a line of text, the printer
does a newline, but not a carriage return.  I have tried using an input
filter, to no avail.  Can you use an input filter on a remote printer?  If
not, any idea how I can get this to work?  I really don't want to change
the configuration of the printer, as it also serves the Novell LAN and the
AS/400.

Thanks,
Allen Hyer
System Administrator