Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:49:01 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disabling implicit creation of state for NAT, BINAT and RDR

--nextPart1643430.QFMSolvSL8

On Wednesday 24 October 2007, Nex Mon wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Daniel Hartmeier <daniel@benzedrine.cx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 01:50:55PM +0800, Nex Mon wrote:
> > > hello, is there a way to disable implicit creation of states for
> > > NAT,
> >
> > BINAT
> >
> > > and RDR rules? the man page of pf.conf says this:
> > >
> > > Note: nat, binat and rdr rules implicitly create state for
> > > connections.
> >
> > Yes, translations require states.
> >
> > Imagine you have a connection from
> >
> >   Client      Gateway         External
> >   10.1.2.3 -> 62.65.145.30 -> 69.147.83.33
> >
> > i.e. the client 10.1.2.3 sends a TCP SYN to external server
> > 69.147.83.33. The NAT gateway replaces the source address with
> > 62.65.145.30.
> >
> > Now the external server sends a TCP SYN+ACK back to 62.65.145.30.
> > How would the gateway know that this packet is for 10.1.2.3, and
> > needs the destination address translated back to 10.1.2.3, without a
> > state entry?
> >
> > The state entry is the only part that holds this mapping information.
>
> Are you saying there is only one type of state for all the filter, RDR,
> etc rules? I have this understanding that NAT has its own translation
> table where it keeps states of NAT sessions. So in the example above,
> the only way to apply filter rules for translated (reply)packets would
> be at the internal interface?

The translations states are different from the filter states.  The former=20
just record the addresses on each side to be able to do the translation,=20
the later record the addresses to be able to match traffic to the state=20
and consequently allow or deny it.  Unless you use the "pass" modifier on=20
the translation statement, a translation state does not automatically=20
allow the matched traffic to flow.  The pf.conf(5) manpage states:

  If the pass modifier is given, packets matching the translation rule are
  passed without inspecting the filter rules:

  rdr pass on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 80 -> 127.0.0.1 \
        port 8080

Otherwise you will have to have a pass rule for that traffic as well.

> I'm curious about OpenBSD's implementation of "no state" which can be
> applied to NAT, RDR, etc. Is there any chance this feature will be
> supported in FreeBSD?

The "no state" modifier is supported in FreeBSD (7.0 and later) for pass=20
rules only.  This is the same in OpenBSD.  Translation rules allways have=20
to keep state as they can otherwise not do the translation!

=2D-=20