Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:40:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cloning network interfaces

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:27:37AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Personally, I'd prefer create/destroy instead of plumb/unplumb.  The Solaris
> > plumb command is for doing 'STREAMS plumbing' - ie: connecting all the
> > streams pipes and modules together.  Creating/deleting interfaces on
> > BSD systems IMHO has nothing in common with that concept.  We are
> > creating/destroying interfaces, not connecting/disconnecting streams
> > nodes (plumbing).
>
> I've made create/destory the default names with plumb and unplumb
> standing in as SysV compatability parameters because that seems to be
> the ifconfig way.  The diff at:
>
> http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~brooks/FreeBSD/gif.diff
>
> has been updated.  I'm still thinking about adopting the NetBSD
> SIOIF{CREATE,DESTORY} interface.

An advantage to also supporting the ioctl interface is that it permits
interface cloning to be used on systems where devfs is not used, or where
there are parts of the system where devfs is unavailable (i.e., various
forms of chroots).  I think devfs is cool and all, but given the existance
of fairly sensical non-devfs ways to do things, I'm tempted suggest
supporting them also.