Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 22:10:20 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp-master method

Will Andrews wrote:

> OK, so people have problems with either mirror/spegla+ftp and rsync.
> How about cvsup?  It uses the rsync algorithm with some optimizations,
> and can be configured to have a maximum number of deletions, and has
> several methods of excluding files.  It also requires little memory,
> although it does hurt when it comes to cpu.  And I'll bet it's a bit
> faster than rsync, to put it mildly.

I think we're just about ready to go, at least for the rsync clients.

Please make sure you are using the current version:

ftp-master# rsync --version
rsync version 2.4.6  protocol version 24

Dont even use 2.4.x where x <= 5. I ran into some problems with them.

The command you probably want to do a full mirror is:
rsync -vaz --delete rsync://ftp-master.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/ ~ftp/pub/FreeBSD/

Leave out the --delete initially to make sure you are not in for a nasty
suprise.

I am not sure what to do about the dir.sizes and ls-lR.gz file.  Right now
they are copies of what was rsync'ed from ftp.freesoftware.com.

ftp is not yet available.  people can ftp from inside the freebsd
cluster, but I have no way to use the mirror access list yet.  So for now,
for the folks who want to use ftp, sorry.  Once another mirror has updated,
you can mirror that.

jkh did some spring cleaning before the final rsync, the archive is
now ~48GB.  The release candidates and some other stuff got cleaned out.

It does have 4.3-R, but the timestamps may be off.  They never made
it to ftp.freesoftware.com, and there are several unofficial copies around.
All the checksums were verified though.

Fire away, but please be gentle to start with.

Cheers,
-Peter