Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:19:15 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
Cc:        "'Steve Barkey'" <sbarkey@alexin.ca>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best Hardware?

* Mike Dewhirst (Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk) [020321 02:07]:
> This is slightly offtopic, but here goes anyway:
>
> > As many of us do frequently I am building a FreeBSD server,
> > and want to
> > select the best possible parts to use.
> > I am hoping to use an AMD chip and put it all in 1U.
>
> AMD 1U racks are pretty expensive.. You'll need low profile RAM - that's
> expensive too..
>
> Othewrise - you could get the appro 1124 chassis
>
> > Any recommendations for motherboards?
>
> Gigabyte or Tyan. Tyan do dual Athlon boards..
>
> > Also; I have had issues with RealTEK cards (who hasn't) and am not
> > afraid to spend money on 3 good NICs for the server.  What's the best
> > all around card.  PPPoE support and longevity is more important than
> > speed.  What's best?  3com? Intel?
>
> I have 3COM's working pretty well, though I think the appro chassis come
> with NIC's. IF you go for 3COM - 309x are pretty reliable.
>
> > Thanks!
> >  Steve B.

You may also want to consider a company which builds and supports these kinds
of systems. eracks.com offers a number of rack server systems for good
prices. Their front page has a 1u "Via 667MHz Integrated C3 CPU" system (I
don't know either, but you can make it AMD for another $50) with decent stats
for $695. They offer to install the OS of your choice as well, which includes
FreeBSD. Not a bad start.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)