Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 10:19:46 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "jpaetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Old BIOS, large HD, and FreeBSD 4.0R

> >> Is the HD UDMA/66 or /33? If it is, you will have to get
> >> a controller because those old systems don't support UDMA.
> >>
> >> That's probably why it isn't showing up in the BIOS.
> >>
> >> --bhishan
> >>
> >It says Ultra ATA/66.  So that means I'll have to get a
> >new IDE controller for the box?  Any ideas how much a
> >controller costs and suggested eRetailers?
> >
> >Appreciate your help!
> >
> >--
> >Doug

Thanks for the answers.  Since I occasionally get old 486's for free,
and canabilize them for parts, I don't have to spend money on an old
box to get it running FreeBSD.  These freebies also give me the chance
to install the latest version of FreeBSD and "operate" on them and not
having to worry about the consquences.  I have quite a collection of
old 486's running various releases.  This old machine in question  will
have to be satisfied with a couple of old 250mb/340mb HDs that are
lying around and I'll save the 174gb HD for another day.  Some day I'm
going to spend money on a real computer!

--
Doug