Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:28:37 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Syslog Configuration Question

--dWYAkE0V1FpFQHQ3

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 10:15:25AM -0800, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> Hello All:
>=20
> I am trying to set up a few facilities to receive syslog info from =20
> various network devices.  In all cases, not only do the arriving =20
> packets get logged to the logfile configured, but they also get logged =
=20
> to /var/log/messages.  I would like messages to be used only for =20
> system-related issues.  I have included the relevant snippets from my =20
> syslog.conf file.  Could someone please help me figure out what I'm =20
> doing wrong?
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Mike
>=20
> *.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
> *.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
> security.*                                      /var/log/security
> auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
> mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
> lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
> cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
> local5.*                                        /var/log/switches.log
> local6.*                                        /var/log/pix.log
> local7.*                                        /var/log/routers.log
>=20
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=20
> --
> Michael	K.	Smith		NoaNet
> 206.219.7116 (work)		206.579.8360 (cell)
> mksmith@noanet.net		http://www.noanet.net

Two things.

1) Did you remember to restart the syslogd when you changed syslog.conf?
Try a `killall -HUP syslogd`.

2) What level are the local(n) facilities logging at?  Right now your
setup will log anything with a NOTICE level to messages.

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--dWYAkE0V1FpFQHQ3

--dWYAkE0V1FpFQHQ3--