Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenSSH_3.4p1 sshd does not set XAUTHORITY

I upgraded one of my machines to -stable from 16 August 2002, and
now I'm seeing some problems with X11 forwarding.  The problem
appears to be with sshd and/or PAM on the upgraded machine.

When I simply slogin from another machine (strings) to the upgraded
machine (thin), X11 forwarding works OK:

  strings$ slogin thin
  Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
          The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

  FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE (THIN) #24: Fri Aug 16 19:40:57 PDT 2002

  Terminal type is xterm.
  thin$ xterm                   [An xterm appears as expected.]
  ^Cthin$

But now if I "su" on the target machine, I can no longer run X
programs:

  thin$ su
  Password:
  thin# xterm
  X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
  thin#

But this works if I slogin from strings to a different machine
running -stable from around the end of June.

Back on thin (the upgraded machine), if I use "su -m" then it works.

The problem appears to be with the XAUTHORITY environment variable.
When I slogin to thin (the upgraded machine) XAUTHORITY does not get
set in my environment.  When I slogin to the older machine, it does
get set, to something like "/tmp/ssh-sl53EABb/cookies".

Any suggestions?  It looks like a bug to me.

John