Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:59:25 +0200
From:      Flemming Froekjaer <flemming@froekjaer.org>
To:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need to install/run on a 4MB machine

Mike Pritchard wrote:

>I recently came into possession of an old 486 laptop with only 4MB
>of memory.  I would like to install FreeBSD on it.  What is the latest
>release of FreeBSD will still install and run on 4MB?  If needed, I can
>build my own install floppies.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
>-Mike

I'm preatty sure that 3.4 will run on 4 Megs, but I'm not sure if it
needs 5 for the instalation program.
I used to have a laptop like that, and I'm not sure that 3.4 is the
latest that will work.

Does the laptop have a cdrom drive? If it does you can boot from that
and fdisk, newfs the disk from there and then use dump/restore to put a
working system on it.

\Flemming