Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:08:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Catch-all m-box <aer001@a1.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OOPS.. (Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support)

> > Is it even necessary to have pcm in GENERIC since its a kld in -current too?
>
> No; putting sound support in GENERIC is entirely unnecessary where the KLD
> is available.  If you want sound, load the KLD either through /boot/
> loader.conf, or add a "sound_enable" knob to /etc/rc.conf.

I thought the whole point of the GENERIC kernel is to support enough to allow
an install on the majority of systems and allow the PC to be operable.

I always compile a new GENERIC kernel when upgrading, as well as the hosts
own kernel, but, only for disaster recovery.

I just don't see any point at all in having sound in the GENERIC kernel.
Maybe people are just too lazy to compile their own kernels.

Bap.