Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 21:37:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Steve Gatt <stevegatt@hotmail.com>
Cc:        jan@caustic.org, matt@gsicomp.on.ca, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Installation - Disk Space

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Steve Gatt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First I would like to thank both of you for your prompt reply.  I am still
> unsure as to what I should do.  My main purpose in setting up this machine
> (P100 16MB 2GB) is to have an experimental computer which I can use to try
> things out and to have the computer be useful before it really goes
> obsolete.  I do wish to have a working Unix system for now, and although the
> FreeBSD 2.1.5 is from August 1996, I had the CD pack brought to me and never
> installed it since then (pity).  I have a couple of Linux distributions from
> 1996 and Suse Linux from 1999, but I would like to try out the BSD.  I was
> afraid that a more modern version would need even more disk area.  The
> computer I use daily has a larger disk which I am not using fully, but it
> has many files I would like to go over or save somewhere (CD) that are
> taking up space, and it will be some time before I can free up that space.
>
> Yes, five years is a long development time, and I would want to install the
> latest version, but I want to also install and give my primary effort to
> Windows NT Server 4.0 (yes, another old OS) since it is still widely used
> and forms the basis for 2000, and still have Windows 95 for general purpose
> use.  Too much in too little space, but I have no other hardware to spare,
> but that might change in a few months.  I wonder if I should wait until
> then, then set up FreeBSD 4.x.
>
> So I gather I would have to add up the 200 MB for / and the 200 for /var
> which makes about 450 MB with swap.  Less than 1GB but more than I wish to
> give up.  I have looked in Hardware.txt, but found no mention of my
> hardware.  Yes, I guess using those outdated software is scary.
>
> I also have a 3Com Combo 10 Mbps NIC (UTP, BNC & AUI) but it's not easy to
> find now, and I don't know the exact hardware.  So version 4.3 would need
> 250 MB for binaries and X, 50 for swap, and some room to grow.  And this
> should not be much different for any 4.x I would think, all of which should
> run fine on a 16MB P100 as you point out.
>
> So the 340 MB stated on the back of the 2.1.5 CD pack for a development
> system, which must be the binaries, X, and GCC, plus 48 or so swap, plus a
> bit of growth room, looks like the minimum any way I look at it and that
> looks like 400+ MB.  So I am thinking that I should install FreeBSD in
> another system, or see if I can replace the disk in this system or add
> another one.
>
> (Mind boggling how much code programmers are able to generate, and keep
> track of.)
>
> Steve

In 400MB or so you can install everything you need including X 3.3.6,
which is the version on the 4.x-installation CD-ROM.

If you have less than 600MB allowed for FreeBSD, just use swap and one
file system, /.

If more allow 100MB for /, /var at 60MB (since you're not running a mail
server etc. for a lot of people), swap, and the rest for /usr.

	Annelise

Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
Available from:	 BSDmall.com and amazon.com
Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/