Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/2671: Run-away processes using all CPU time

The following reply was made to PR bin/2671; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To: arlie@thepoint.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:02:15 +0100

 As arlie@thepoint.net wrote:

 (Please, restrict your line length to a reasonable value.  Better use
 a mail software that assists you in this.)

 > PPPD and several other programs apparently do not correctly receive
 > the SIGHUP signal when a user hangs up on a serial line or closes a
 > Telnet session.  This uses 100% of CPU time and renders the serial
 > port useless until the process is noticed and killed.  This also
 > happens with Lynx, Pine, vi, and other text-based programs (not just
 > pppd).

 > This problem occurs under all versions of FreeBSD that I have tried,
 > including 2.1.0, 2.1.5, 2.1.6, and 2.2-961014-SNAP.

 Your line setup must be faulty, it seems your modem doesn't raise/
 drop the DCD signal (or you have accidentally configured your port to
 ignore modem signalling).

 However, you're right in that those programs shouldn't eat up the CPU
 but instead correctly terminate once they saw an excessive number of
 EIOs on their input channel.

 --
 cheers, J"org