Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 20:40:28 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jochen Kaiser <Jochen.Kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote installworld; export /usr/obj -ro via nfs ?

Jochen Kaiser <Jochen.Kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de> types:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested in providing ppl. a remote update mechanism here at
> university. I just started playing with this topic.

I can't help much with the first two - I export /usr/obj on a rw
volume.

> 3) is there a strategy to distribute /usr/ports? maybe to modify the
>    scripts for building a /usr/ports/X/Y/work.'hostname'?

Yup. Mine works fine. There are three knobs in /etc/make.conf that you
need to deal with for this.

The idea is that one machine has the ports tree on it, and updates
it. All machines that will actually build ports are "build machines",
and get special treatment. You need at least one "build machine" for
each type of platform that's going to be using the system. I recommend
having only one per platform type. You distribute ports to things
other than build machines as packages in a shared directory that's
platform-specific.

Step 1: export /usr/ports r/o to at least the build platforms. I
	export it to the world so the things that use the index file -
	make search, pkg_version, weekly package status checks - work
	on all systems.

Step 2: On the build machines, set the following in /etc/make.conf:

	a) DISTDIR to a shared file system writable by all of them.

	b) WRKDIRPREFIX to a local directory

Step 3: On all machines, set PACKAGES to a platform-specific directory
	on a shared partition in /etc/make.conf.

Step 4: Set PKG_PATH in roots environment on all the machines to the
	PACKAGES directory for that platform type.

In theory, you can share WRKDIRPREFIX between build machines for the
same platform, but the ports build system leaves cookies in work
directories, and trouble results when those don't match the state of
the world.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.