Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 2004 22:11:03 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bruce Hunter <bhunter@solisix.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD / Gnome Performance Tuning

On Saturday 05 June 2004 09:48 pm, Bruce Hunter wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I have noticed that my system isn't as fast as the windows gui is.
> Probably has to do with Gnome and GTK 2.0 issues. Is there anything I
> can do, to increase system wide performance? Either harddrive access
> time, or gui performance when running multiple apps?

It depends on what you are comparing. For example, I think the numerical
libraries in Windows are significantly faster than FreeBSD. On the same
system, I see ~25% more wu's calculated by setiathome from the Windows
XP side than are processed on the FreeBSD 4.x side.

I could be wrong on where the 25% speed gain is coming from but the
difference is there. I added the cpu_time from the report that is
uploaded to Berkely into a spread sheet and then compared the averages
once I had accrued more than 200 wu's by each OS. You need to process
several hundred wu's before the really short running ones ceased to
affect the first few digits in the average.

Look while you are doing some gui stuff and see if you are swapping.
Your 8ns memory suddenly becomes equivalent to your HD average access
time at that point and everything is going to run slower. I started
looking at swapinfo on systems that I did port builds and frequent
system builds and upped the memory until I quit swapping. The first DDR
was 512 and it swapped. The 2nd DDR stick was also 512 and it didn't
swap.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart