Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 20:55:29 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Benjamin Franks <bsfranks@dzhan.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: post-install partition/slice question

Benjamin Franks <bsfranks@dzhan.com> types:
> I have a single IDE hard drive in my system.  Upon install of FreeBSD I
> did not allocate the entire drive for BSD, but used half of it for the
> freebsd slice (which is simply partitioned with /, /usr/, swap).  I'd like
> to now convert the remaining, unused portion of the drive into another
> slice that I can access through freebsd.  If I use the partition tool
> through /stand/sysinstall to create a second slice from the unused
> space--and partition it--will I damage my initial freebsd slice?  Aside
> from mounting the new partitions, do I need to do anything else with boot
> managers, sector 0, etc.?

First, you don't need to do anything but mount the new partitions once
you get them created. If you edit only that slice, the other slice
should be fine. The one thing to watch out for is mangling the
MBR. Make sure you leave it alone while working on the new slice.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.