Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:57:57 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
Cc:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free email service usage on this list (Was: KDE Admin for FreeBSD?!)

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 09:58:10AM +0000, Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

> > Hotmail /yahoo mail is for people having idol chit chat with each
> > other.  For serious work you should use your ISP's free email
> > account.  Like yourusername@yourisp.com
>
> I do not agree with this.  If people wish to not use their private
> addresses as possible SPAM targets, then using free email services is
> ideal.

This is true, at least partially.  Because using Hotmail or any other
free mail service does not guarantee in any way that spam control
policies are there to protect your folders from spamming.

> My boss, who is currently in the US (from the UK) on company business,
> relies on hotmail etc because it can be accessed from anywhere
> worldwide.  How about people who are on the move all day? - a normal
> account is impractical.

I've been using sendmail's -f option with at least four different Greek
ISP's, and their respective default MX hosts to forward my mail through
the usual ISP mail gateway, without having to change my mail reader's
setup every time I change an ISP.

However, for people who do not have the time to search for a local ISP
(i.e. business men, who are 'in town' for just a few hours), your
argument is quite right :)

The corollary of all this is that your boss is unfair.  Because he wants
to be able to read his mail from anywhere, but he won't let you have the
same kind of flexibility in your e-communication.

- Giorgos Keramidas