Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 21:06:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware problems with NICs

On 31-Aug-98 Brett Glass wrote:
> Sounds as if you may have mapped one serial port over the other's I/O
> addresses or IRQ instead of disabling it. Try using another IRQ for your
> NIC and leaving COM2: enabled. Also, separate the ranges of I/O ports on
> the NICs more. Finally, don't use segment C800. It'll conflict with
> graphics cards. If that's a memory-mapped buffer, find another spot for it.
> If it's a ROM address, disable the ROM.
>
> --Brett

I fixed the problem with sio0 just fine (it turns out I had disabled both com
ports, so I enabled com1 and now I don't get any errors.)  I still can't get any
of the three 3c503 NIC's that I have to work, no matter what I/O port or memory
address I use.  However, they have passed the 3Com diags in every config that I
have tried so far.  I even tried re-enabling com2 so that the machine would be
in the same exact config as earlier, but the ed driver still refuses to find
any of them.  I tried one of the cards with the GENERIC kernel on another
machine and it found the card just fine.  The thing is, this network card
worked in my 486 motherboard perfectly fine until I tried to put two of them
in together.  Has anyone else had any problems with 486 motherboards similar
to this?  The diags pass in DOS, but both my custom kernel and the GENERIC
kernel cannot find the cards. This is getting quite annoying.