Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 14:17:15 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@iquest.com>
To:        lray@aurora.liunet.edu, questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Lance Ethernet, (was [none])

> I'm having trouble with my ethernet controller. I hope someone can
> help. I've got an at1500 plus at dma 5, irc 5 and base i/o 300h.

When you restart the system at the boot: prompt type "kernel -c" and
move your at1500 to some other address and IRQ. Both 0x300 and IRQ 5
are popular for other things. I use 0x360, IRQ 9, DRQ 3 for my NE2100.
Some ISA cards confuse IRQ 2 and IRQ 9. IRQ 2 on the ISA bus is going
to appear as IRQ 9 at the interupt controller.

After you've booted with kernel -c, "ls" will list the current values.
Then (I forget) "lnc0 port 0x360" or "set lnc0 port 0x360" or some
variation on that works. You have to do it 3 times, once for the port,
once for the IRQ, and once again for the DRQ. After the system starts
/etc/rc runs /sbin/dset and makes your changes permanent.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity