Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:50:31 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kew.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   making a partition bootable?

I have a P/II 350 with matched SCSI disks on a AHA-29160.   The disk layouts
are identical, with a NT and FreeBSD slices.  FreeBSD partitions within the
slice are root (one disk unused, of course), swap, and vinum partitions,
with the vinum partition mirroring several file systems (/usr, /var/
usr/export, /usr/scratch).

For reasons lost in the mists of time, the disk I'm actually booting off is
the second drive (/dev/da1s2a).  I tried switching back to the first drive,
and some "thing" simply reports "read error".  The actual root partition
(/dev/da0s2a) is fine; if I boot from the install CD, I can direct it to
load the kernel from the first disk root and things go great.  Likewise, I
can even boot off the MBR on the first drive and tell it chain to the second
drive (F5), and that boots fine as well.  But I can't boot directly off the
first root partition.

So my MBR, kernel, and root partition are all fine on that first disk, but
the boot blocks in the partition seem hosed.    How do I fix it?

--
Drew Derbyshire
Internet: ahd+mm@kew.com