Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:39:22 -0700
From:      Robert Ricci <rricci@intermountain.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Strange network(?) problem

(please CC: all responses to me)

I've run into a strange problem on my 2.2.8 box. When I start user-mode
ppp, it says "Working in Interactive Mode", and just sits there: I never
get a ppp> prompt. Doing a `ps` shows the process as sleeping, and,
eventually, idle. The same thing happens with other network aware
programs like amd and sendmail. HOWEVER, pppd works fine, and once I've
connected to my ISP with it, user mode ppp suddenly works. I've been
working on this for days now, even re-built the world, and I can't
figure it out. Is there something obvious I'm missing?