Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:08:27 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bde@zeta.org.au, dgy@rtd.com, hackers@freebsd.org, helbig@mx.ba-stuttgart.de
Subject:   Re: wd driver questions

Jason Thorpe stands accused of saying:

> ...So, for the record, NetBSD's libsa doesn't have a generic ELF loader
> in it yet because not all architectures use ELF.  Currently, the MIPS-based,
> Alpha, and PowerPC ports do (although I haven't committed the PowerPC
> stuff yet).

Hmm, well saves me looking for it then 8)

> The trick is backwards-compatibility, i.e. retaining the ability to load
> both kinds of formats, and that means footprint.  The NetBSD/alpha boot
> blocks currently support loading ECOFF and ELF formats, for example,
> because, until just recently, ECOFF was the standard format.

Aha.  One of the ideas I was toying with was having a 'standalone
shell' which would then load the kernel linker, which then would load
the kernel proper.  Then as long as the standalone shell understood
the objhect format the other standalone tools were built with, you
could swap kernel linkers to suit the flavour of the day.

I'm not entirely sure that the benefits that would accrue from this
would necessarily be worthwhile though.

> I think this will be changing soon, however.  Now that the FSF has a sane
> way of saying "This ELF binary is for this OS", I've put the following on
> my NetBSD/hp300 TODO list:

They do?  Do you have a reference for this method?

> 	- make ELF work on NetBSD m68k

Hmm, I have one of these things (as I guess you've noticed 8), so
naturally I'm interested in that too 8)

> ...but it's not a priority right now... too many other things to do :-)

Dang!