Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 22:25:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with NIS master on 2.2 serving many slave servers

Hi,

I have big trouble using a 2.2 machine as a NIS master to serve
multiple slave servers. These are 2.1.6.1, SunOS 4.1.3_U1, IRIX 5.3
and HP-UX 9 machines.

Apart from the warnings when running make in /var/yp concerning
the duplicate entries in /etc/services, the 2.1.6.1 machine complains
about errors when transferring the services maps. The SunOS machine
didn't even start to transfer the maps when running ypinit -s master-server.

I have edited the Makefile (NOPUSH and UNSECURE, etc.). I have also
changed the rules for building the services maps which otherwise
breaks when processing the ddp entries for netatalk.

When running an SGI with IRIX 5.3 as master everything works as expected.

Is there a good manual how to get things running, or has somebody
already managed to run NIS with one or more slave servers of the
types mentioned above?

Thanks for any hints...

	-Andre (without any clues)