Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:23:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Glendon Gross <gross@clones.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: I386_CPU

OK, but it makes sense to me that for certain applications, it makes sense
to utilize the old hardware since it is still readily available and cheap.
In particular, why not install FreeBSD on i386 for use in routers?  In
many cases there is a negligible performance advantage from using faster
CPU's.  Sure, we can build our own kernels for such applications, but if
there is an i386 kernel available, it's a plus for FreeBSD in my opinion.
Otherwise I would be inclined to try to put together a "distribution" of
FreeBSD optimized for low-end systems.  But I suspect PicoBSD already
fits that requirement.