Date:      08 May 1998 16:39:43 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        "Zdzislaw A. Kaleta" <sbns@polbox.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unnecessary files

"Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 8 May 1998, Zdzislaw A. Kaleta wrote:
>
> >  Using FreeBSD from some time I have a problem. I suspect that when I
> >  install new version of the program the files form old one stay on the
> >  machine.  I  has such situation with perl 4 and perl 5 which create
> >  problem with installing new KDE version so I have two question:
> >          -How  asure  that  old files are removed especially if I don't
> >          use pkg_add
> >          -how check which files are not necessary on the system.
>
> I highly recommend using pkg_add for _EVERYTHING_ you put on your FreeBSD
> system for this very reason. If you use pkg_add then things will be
> properly removed when you use pkg_delete.

Just to add to this for the new guys:  Using the ports system also
does a pkg_add for you automatically.

However, Zdzislaw's original problem was with perl and perl is
different.  Perl 4 is part of the base FreeBSD system so you can't do
a pkg_delete on the perl that's in /usr/bin.  When you install perl
from the ports or packages you get perl 5 in /usr/local/bin, but you
need to do some tinkering in /usr/bin to move the old perl out of the way.

Most ports and packages don't have this problem, you can just do pkg_delete
on the old one and then pkg_add on the new one and everything will be clean.
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com