Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:08:17 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   New BKTR driver loadable modules

Hi all,

 I've changed the way the bktr Bt848/Bt878 driver works
 when it is a loadable Kernel Module. (KLD)

 Previously there was just one module to load, bktr.ko
 You either put
 "bktr_load=YES" in your /boot/loader.conf file
 OR
 you put "kldload bktr" in your rc.local.

 Now the bktr driver is split in two
   bktr_mem   (contains a memory holder function)
   bktr       (the main bktr driver)

 So, you need to load bktr_mem AND bktr to get a working driver.

 In -CURRENT the dependency facility should work so just
 load 'bktr'and  'bktr_mem' should auto-load for you.

 In 4.1-STABLE you do have to load both bktr_mem AND
 bktr yourself as module dependencies are not
 implemented yet.
 I've updated the default loader.conf as an example.

 What it does
 ------------
 bktr_mem holds onto the bktr_driver's precious contiguously
 allocated memory if/when the bktr driver is unloaded.
 This makes it much much easier to test driver changes
 and even install an updated bktr  driver without rebooting
 the system.

 Reboots are now only required if you change the amount of
 contiguous memory the driver needs to allocate.

 Please report any problems or bugs to me,
   roger@freebsd.org

 or
   roger@cs.strath.ac.uk

 Cheers
 Roger

--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.