Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:55:50 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        malenovi@cview.com (Nik Malenovic)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pppd route/proxy problem

> [notice redirection to -hackers as well]

[ Took it back out of -hacker.  Leave it on one list please. ]

> >The problem is that if the other end of a connection sends something to
> >the ip addr while pppd is down, an 'incomplete' entry goes into the
> >arp table.  Under some circumstances a race occurs and that incomplete
> >entry never times out.  Even if it does, the proxy entry either doesn't
> >end up in the table or doesn't work when written while the incomplete
> >entry is present.
> [...]

> another solution is not to do proxyarp, and have PPP client IP be located
> on the separate subnet (non-ethernet subnet)

Then you don't need proxy-arp.  But, this isn't a solution for many
folks given the lack of address, especially for folks who have machines
which may exist on the local ethernet OR via PPP.  (Think portable
computers.)

> the third solution is to hack arp code, and remove creation of incomplete
> IP entries on their use. (i.e. the time when the IP number is being
> used, during broadcasts 'who-has such-and-such-IP', until the IP is
> determined to be down by the broadcasting interface)

A better sollution is to remove incomplete IP entries *when* a complete
arp entry (either normal or proxy-arp) is found.  This is what SunOS
does.  Unfortunately, the current code makes a distinction between all
three different types of arp entries. :(

> notice that BSDI, FreeBSD have this bug. I suspect NetBSD is the same.

Yep, all 4.4BSD derived systems have this bug, and none have fixed it
yet.

Nate