Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 12:27:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any luck with EE Pro/10?

'Lo all.  Are there specific problems with the ex driver in 2.2 that I
should know about?

Quick background:  After discovering that the EE/16 support was
completely broken after the merge of the ix and ie drivers, I put an
EE/Pro 10 in a 2.2 box to replace the EE/16.  After doing that, none
of the other boxes on the network can see the box with the EE Pro/10.

Here's the new network layout:

     +------+
     |A     |
     |Win95 |-------------+        +------------+
     |EE/16 |             |        |C           |
     +------+            +----+    |FreeBSD 2.2 |
                         |Hub |----|EE Pro/10   |----PPP--->Internet
     +----------------+  +----+    +------------+
     |B               |   |
     |FreeBSD 2.2     |---+
     |EE/16 Pre-Merge |
     +----------------+

When the EE/16 was in machine C and the pre-merge kernel was running,
all boxes saw each other, no problem.  After putting in the Pro/10 and
recompiling the kernel, the machine come up okay, found the card,
dialed out the Internet over the PPP link and started communicating
with no problems.  However, now neither machine A nor B can see
machine C.

Running a packet trace on the Pro/10, not even ARP requests are
completing between A<->C and B<->C.  A and B, however can still see
each other just fine.  All IP addresses and subnet masks are the same.
And yes, I did update /etc/sysconfig to config the ex interface
instead of the old ix interface.  I also ran SoftSet to make sure the
configuration on the card matched the line in the kernel config file.
HOWEVER, I did note that SoftSet did not have an option to setup the
iomem address on the Pro/10 like it does on the EE/16.  Should that
raise any flags?

Are there framing differences or other tidbits I should know about
here?  Are there inherent incompatibilities between the EE/16 and
Pro/10 regardless of the OS?  Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
--
( Wes Santee                    PGP: e-mail w/Subject: "Send PGP Key" )
( mailto:wes@bogon.net                                                )