Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 23:40:05 -0700
From:      uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   bin/310: ^C or ^Z in do-it-yourself FTP installation crashes system

>Number:         310
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       ^C or ^Z in do-it-yourself FTP installation crashes system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.0.0-SNAP950322 i386
>Environment:

Occurs in SNAP-021095
Still occurs in SNAP-032295

[FDIV004]

During installation, if you specify that you want to do your own FTP
commands, if you abort a mget or other FTP operation with interrupt
(Control-C), FTP does not receive the interrupt, but the install
shell/program does, and it pops up partially on the screen with

	"Installation Aborted",

but FTP is still running, asking questions.

In my case, I forgot to turn PROMPTing off before I started a mget,
and did a Control-C to start the process over.  I was expecting a
	"Continue with mget?"
prompt to answer "no" to, but instead FTP never got the
Control-C signal as it had been intercepted upstairs somewhere.

>How-To-Repeat:

Install the system using do-it-yourself FTP download mechanism.  Use
mget for FTP with prompting enabled.  At any of the file prompts,
press CTRL-C.  You probably can also cause the error at any prompt in
FTP.

>Fix:

When letting the user do his own FTP commands in the installation,
allow all signals to pass to FTP, and do not abort or otherwise respond to
the interrupt signal while FTP is running.

*END*