Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:02:24 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What exactly does the "ELF" tag mean?

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 01:18:26AM +0000, S Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
>     Simple question, I'm sure.
>
> What exactly is this "ELF" tag I keep coming across when reviewing software
> (eg: MySQL 3.23.47 FreeBSD 4.4 ELF (Intel))designed to run on FreeBSD?

Not that simple a question :)
Executable files conform to a certain structure, basically a definition
of how they are laid out. ELF is the acronym for one such structure
that is used by FreeBSD and some other systems. The original Unix
structure was called "a.out" (which is still the default name for
the output of the C compiler). For various reasons this was changed,
although there are still a.out type binaries in the wild.

There are many others. Binary compatibility is still a way off...

This is quite a complex subject...

Next question ? try asking what big-endian and little-endian mean ..
lol.

--
Regards
Cliff