Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 03:05:52 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        Kevin_Swanson@BLaCKSMITH.com, bsdi-users@bsdi.com, hardware@FreeBSD.org, jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net, stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

>It wouldn't surprise me for some other part of the system to block
>serial interrupts for 1/2msec or longer; FIFO overflows on a 16550 occur
>on occasion on an X workstation running at 38k4, ie. 4ms worth of FIFO.
>Hence the comment about a dedicated system.

That's a bug in the other part of the system (probably the X server or
the graphics card).  There are no known bugs in this area in the kernel
software since I fixed everything that blocked serial interrupts for
more than a few microseconds before I worked on the serial driver.  The
maximum latency is about 10 usec on a 486/33.

Bruce