Date:      Tue, 25 May 2021 11:59:46 +0200
From:      Ulrich =?utf-8?B?U3DDtnJsZWlu?= <uqs@freebsd.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        git@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: commit to gitrepo-dev ends up in gitrepo.FreeBSD.org ?

On Mon, 2021-05-24 at 21:23:49 +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>Hi!
>
>> > Ah, I was not aware of that config file.
>[...]
>> Hmmm, that looks perfectly fine. Pushing to 'freebsd' in this repo
>> should've gone to the dev cluster. Are you sure you don't also have a 2nd
>> checkout and ran the command from there?
>
>I do have a 2nd checkout -- one to test the commit (the one
>in question) and one to really commit.
>
>I can not rule out that I made a mistake, but at the time of
>the commit I did thorouglhy check the directory I was in and
>concluded that this mishap did not happen.
>
>Thanks for analysing this and pointing me to .git/config, but I
>guess there's nothing more to analyse and find the real cause 8-(

I would recommend to have a single checkout with multiple remotes, where
say "freebsd" is a https read-only link to production and you have
push-able remotes using ssh to dev and prod, called "dev" and "prod" so
that you cannot accidentally push without specifying a remote. Typing
"dev" or "prod" then is an explicit action.

Cheers
Uli