Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:10:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   minicom/bash

BSD'ers,

	I've spent a considerable amount of time now on this issue regarding
minicom, and with the direction that several responders put me on (notably
Daniel O'Brien).  I still don't know precisely where, or why, this has the
affect it does, but here's what I've learned about this one.  Those that
deal with the various shells may be interested in this problem.

	First of all, I am back to using my preferred shell (bash), and
successfully too!  Minicom does work properly, if I do everything right!
What that means is this: the rxvt MUST be invoked without the '-ls' option,
and apparently this is due to the default shell being bash (which results
in the TERM variable being set to 'cons25') when logging in.  I have to
look into it, but I suspect launching the shell from the fvwm95 popup uses
the '-ls' and thats why when I open either an 'xterm' or 'rxvt' neither
works properly (if I use ANY shell except 'csh').  If I launch the shell
from an xterm without the '-ls' (when using bash) and then run minicom it
works fine (but only if its an 'rxvt'--'xterm' still does not work, which
is the same behaviour seen on Linux)!  Note that this results in the TERM
for that shell being set to 'xterm'.  This was the secret to the problem
that Daniel suggested may be the source of the problem, and as it turns
out, he was right on!

Thanks Daniel for setting me on this path!

Paul

E-Mail: wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Date: 10/14/96
Time: 14:10:56