Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:12:53 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@jake.lodgenet.com>
To:        "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless/keyboardless booting...

> I've not seen ANY PC that will boot without a video card of some sort;
> they always fail in POST.  What we did was get an ancient CGA card from a
> junk box at a HAM fest for $1 and stuff that in.  It's enough to get past
> POST.

We've got over a thousand pc's here booting without keyboards OR video
cards.  Mostly run SCO unix and xenix.  I've personally set up three
FreeBSD machines without keyboards or video cards.  Most of the motherboards
are micronics.  The newest one is a pci/pentium based critter which has
been discontinued, M54si, I believe.

So it can be done.

> Mike
>
> +--------------------------------------+------------------------------------+
> |Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
> |NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
> |Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
> |MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
> |+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
> |                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
> |                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |

eric.
--