Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:22:39 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing from netscape

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 02:12:04AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> So now I can print from machine darla to the printer on arnold.
> (Thanks Norman Rice and Lee Jonston).
>
> Now I want to print from netscape to the printer, which is a Canon LBP8-III.
>
> Is it Netscape (on darla) which should know the printertype, or is it fbsd (on
> arnold?)?.

FreeBSD on arnold.  It's in control of the printer.

> Does Netscape print in postscript, or bitmap, or what?

PostScript.

> The canon is not postscript, do I need ghostscript?

That's the best choice.  I think there are others.

> On the printerhost, or the client?

Again, on the system which controls the printer.  You could
theoretically convert it on the client, but this would assume
knowledge of the remote hardware, and would cause unnecessary problems
if you were to upgrade arnold.  In addition, it would cause much more
network traffic.

Greg